Individuals FAQs - Laws and Regulations

  • Where can I get information about my reemployment rights if I was called up for active reserve duty?

    Certain persons who serve in the armed forces have a right to reemployment with the employer they were with when they entered service. This includes those called up from the reserves or National Guard. These rights are administered by the Veterans Employment and Training Service of the USDOL. 

    USERRA Guide

    elaws USERRA Advisor

    FAQs for Reservists Being Called to Active Duty

  • I quit my job and my employer refuses to pay me for my last week worked. What can I do?

    Often employers and workers disagree over final amounts due. The Fair Labor Standards Act requires that employees be paid at least minimum wage for all hours worked, and time and a half for any overtime hours worked; salaried personnel must also be paid. The USDOL Wage and Hour Division enforces these requirements, but enforcement may be slow. The practical alternative is to file a claim for wages against the employer in the small claims court (Magistrate Court) in the county where the employer is located. Although the worker will have to pay a filing fee, that filing fee can be collected along with wages if the court rules in the worker's favor.

  • How can an employer fire me under "Employment-at-Will" if Georgia is a "Right-to-Work" state?

    Georgia is a "Right-to-Work" state. This means that workers may not be required to join a union or make payments to a union as a condition of employment. This protects a worker who is not hired, or is fired, due to refusal or unwillingness to join a union only.

  • What is JAN (Job Accommodation Network)?

    JAN, a service of the Office of Disability Employment Policy, is a toll-free and Internet resource for anyone who has questions about job accommodations, or about the employment sections of the ADA. Trained consultants respond to questions and offer suggestions for additional resources. 

    Job Accommodation Network