Individuals FAQs - Disaster-Related Benefits

  • What is DUA?

    Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is a federal unemployment assistance program that provides compensation for individuals whose employment or self-employment has been lost or interrupted as a direct result of a major disaster, but who are not eligible for regular unemployment insurance (UI). A major disaster is a natural catastrophe such as a severe storm, hurricane, tornado, straight-line winds, and associated flooding that resulted in a Presidential declaration of a disaster. A Presidential declaration is made when it is determined governmental assistance is needed for communities and individuals directly affected by the disaster.

    Expand Collapse
  • Who may apply for DUA?

    Any individual who is unemployed as a direct result of a declared disaster may apply for DUA. This includes self-employed business people, farmers, loggers, commissioned-paid employees and others whose unemployment occurred as a direct result of a declared disaster, but who are not eligible for the state's regular unemployment insurance program.

    Expand Collapse
  • How do I apply for DUA?

    To apply for DUA, visit any Georgia Department of Labor career center and file an unemployment insurance claim. Present valid government issued picture identification and your social security number. If self-employed, have proof of earnings for the most recently completed income tax year, such as:

    • Copies of the most recently completed income tax returns
    • Copies of quarterly estimated income tax payments records
    • Similar documents
    Expand Collapse
  • How is DUA related to UI?

    Individuals eligible to receive UI will not qualify to receive DUA until all UI benefits have been exhausted. Self-employed, farmers, and other individuals who generally are not eligible for UI, may be eligible to receive DUA.

    Expand Collapse
  • Are Taxes Withheld?

    DUA benefits are subject to federal and state tax. Individuals may elect to have federal and/or state taxes deducted from their DUA payments. Individuals will receive IRS Form 1099-G to file with their income tax return.

    Expand Collapse