Child Labor Employment Certificate Instructions

Employment Certificate (State Law)
An Employment Certificate, commonly called a Work Permit, is required for all minors who have not reached their 16th birthday. Minors may obtain Work Permits from:

  • A school Issuing Officer (including most private schools)
  • The county school superintendent's office

Got a Job?  Get a Work Permit!   It's the Law!

Instructions for Obtaining an Employment Certificate for Minors Under age 16
A work permit data sheet must be initiated either online or via paper by the minor prior to being completed by the employer. A completed work permit data sheet is submitted online or via paper to an issuing officer for issuance of the employment certificate.
Get a Youth Work Permit Online

Section A (Completed online or via paper by the minor)

  • Address should include a street number and name, city, and zip code.
  • Ensure age and date of birth are consistent.
  • Instruct employer to enter required information online or complete the paper work permit data sheet.

Work Permit - Minor's Instructions for the Online System

When a minor receives a job offer, he or she gives the form to the employer.

Section B (Completed online or via paper by the employer)

  • Ensure street address, city, zip code and phone number are completed.
  • Enter the type of work to be performed.
  • Return paper work permit data sheet to minor, if applicable.

Work Permit - Employer's Instructions for the Online System

Section C (Completed by the Issuing Officer)

After Sections A and B have been completed, the Issuing Officer accesses the online information or receives the paper work permit data sheet from the minor.

  • Review Sections A and B to ensure completeness including signatures.
  • Verify date of birth of minor.
  • Complete Section C. Issue paper Employment Certificate to minor to be given to the employer.

Work Permit - Issuing Officer's Instructions for the Online System

Issuing Officers May be the:

  • County Superintendent of Schools or designee.
  • Designated Issuing Officer of a public school.
  • Principal Administrative Officer of a licensed private school or designee.

Home schooled minors, minors not attending school, and minors from out-of-state must have their employment certificates issued by one of the above sources. These minors should take their birth certificate to the Issuing Officer. To work in Georgia, the employment certificate must be issued by a Georgia Issuing Officer. After the Issuing Officer has completed Section C, a copy of the employment certificate will be presented to the minor.

Certificate Maintenance

The minor takes the copy of the employment certificate to the Employer. The Employer must maintain this copy of the employment certificate on the premises where the work is performed for the duration of the minor’s employment.